When working with GIS, there have been some essential software needed for the basic ArcGIS 10 software suite.
Here is a list of some software and why you need it.
1. Notepad, for easy viewing of metadata and data types.
2. Microsoft Office Suite. Microsoft Word for metadata and Microsoft Excel for view tables, crunching numbers and importing into ArcMap. You can also use open source software.
Office Home and Student 2013 English (1PC/1User) (PC Key Card)
3. Uncompressing file software, like Open Source 7zip. There are other software like WinZip.
WinZip – Zip UnZip Tool. Easily Open Zip Files
4. Google Earth Software
5. Optional handheld GPS if you’re doing field work and want to plot coordinates
Garmin eTrex 30 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator
6. Optional Adoble Photoshop or Corel for map touch up. Keep in mind, if you’re a student, there are usually cheaper license levels for you.
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium Upgrade from CS4[OLD VERSION]
CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X6